Thursday, April 23, 2009

Visa and Visa

Hi All,

Thursday 7:30 p - the weekend has arrived.

Well good news - the residence visa is in hand. Was promised on Sunday - well the guy in HR takes the day off. I hit him up on Monday - Nope - tomorrow - by 3 is the promise - Tuesday - 2p - email sorry no visa - tomorrow - Wednesday for sure - No there was a problem went to collect the visa - they said there was a fine - what? - return it tomorrow -Thursday - I call - he's not in today - I'm screwed So Igo over to check out on the tickets for Christine and I'm all set to complain to his boss - and he's there! Told him I thought he called in today and he just came in late - Common for a local. BUT just at that moment in walks my visa ! Yippee. we make copies , I go down to see the ticket agent in the hospital and lo and behold - I got my first run through to choose from. Then the HR guy catches me again to start the paperwork on Christine's Visa - What am I dreaming? actual progress -Huh- will wonders never cease. I need to provide ( which I have ) our marriage certificate - yes - Must prove we are married - no living in sin here. Oh the good news doesn't stop - then he hands me my income letter for my drivers license- Yes to get a drivers licence , you must have - Passport, residence visa, passport photo, your drivers licence translated into Arabic and a letter from your employer stating your employment and your income plus 100 AED ( $27) Well at least I have everything and I'm good to go. But of course they are closed on the weekends

The other Visa -

Christine got a call yesterday and she and I just so happened to be on line with each other. Apparently someone got my visa card number and charged $1.50 through the New York Times - but then "bought" $865 worth of sewing materials - all from someplace in the Netherlands - Well I haven't been there for over 25 years and Christine hasn't been there either so we canceled the card and now I need to get a new one. Visa will send me mine via FedEx - well if you recall - there are no street addresses here - only PO box numbers and FedEx doesn't like PO boxes- So FedEx will have to deliver to the hospital then call me - and bring it to me there. I'm still trying to figure out how in the world the UAE can be so modern but have such a piss poor postal system.

Looked at one flat - brand new -on Tuesday after work - 250,000 AED per year ( about $70K). I didn't like the place at all. Then the guy offers to pay me a kickback of 20,000 AED ( $5400) if I took the place - remember the hospital is paying for my place and it's easy money for him - well now I'm really leery - too much to lose for such a stupid reason and plus it's just plain wrong so I ran away and didn't look back. ( I'm cheap but not that cheap -now if the offer would have been....)

I ate at a Paki restaurant on Tuesday after running away from the crooked landlord and had mutton ( Jerry Seinfeld would have been proud) It was fantastic, spicy and with freshly made flat bread, a small salad and a Pepsi couldn't be beat - and all for 15 AED ($4) BUT all was eaten WITHOUT a utensil or napkin in sight - they have a sink by the front door to wash up prior and after the meal - all eaten with the hands - even the salad.

Well that's about it - I'll be out and about tomorrow with my camera so more pics are in store. Take care my family and friends

Love You

Scott

2 comments:

  1. MoonDude - After reading his post I remembered watching a movie this week...

    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, tell me, how often to you hear "En Sha Allah" when someone tells you that something will be done? It means "God Willing" so basically they're say, this wil get done if God wills it. It's pretty much an excuse to be lazy, or at least that's how it is often used.

    ReplyDelete