Friday, April 17, 2009

Good News and Good Times

Hi All,
Friday 8:30p
Wow what a week. It's budget season at the hospital so lots of work to figure out what I need for 2010 - Yes budgeting already - system is so archane that it takes 8 months to get a budget submitted and approved by the Health Authority.
Well the good news is that all my paperwork has finally come together and I have submitted my passport and visitor visa to the Immigration Authority and will have a residence visa sometine next week. YEAH - now I can get my insurance card buy a car rent a villa or flat - it's the keys to the kingdom - literally
Well I got home last night and came in , changed and went out to find a barber shop for my first haircut here in the UAE, Well someone told me of the one across the street. It's a 3 chair place and the Indian barber took me straight away. After telling him how I wanted it, he started what was at least a 1/2 hr. in the chair -with the last 5 -10 minutes getting a head massage - Oh My how relaxing -and all for about $8.20 US.
After my haircut I took a walk - it was a lovely evening and found the FedEx storefront I was looking for and inquired how much it would cost to send something to Corydon. So for a box up to 10 kilos (22 lbs) it would cost 650 AED or $177 US - Well my idea to send some dates and bakalava back home came to a screeching end. Figured I could buy lots of that back home and still be cheaper than the shipping costs.
Well today after breakfast I went to the pool and hung out there for about 2 hours. I got my iPod working and was grooving to the tunes and the excellent sun. We had a semi dust storm so the sun was partially obscured and made being out much more comfortable I know - sound weird .
Well came down to the room, got cleaned up and decided to take in the Red Bull Air Races today ( prelims) and as you can see I got some great photos. Took the bus there and back. Well I know you have all seen the photos of people hanging from the roof of busses in India - well if they allowed that here , it would be exactly what it was like - I couldn't believe the number of people on this bus ! Nut to Butt - and me the only white face in brown man crowd. In fact the girl at the front desk of the hotel looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked her what the bus number was that I need to take - " Your taking the bus ? ! The look on her face was priceless - and now I know why!
Well the Prelims were really neat and I may go back tomorrow to see the finals. Crowds were not huge as I suspect they will be tomorow. Well - Enjoy and love hearing from you .
All my Love
Scott

2 comments:

  1. Would you like me to send your barber the "You Talkin' To Me" picture for future cutting reference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying reading about your life so far away! The pictures are great. Keep 'em commin!

    ReplyDelete