Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Medical and Housing

Hi All , Wed. 4:30p here - good morning to you.
Well today I went to the Employee health office and just as I had thought , the xrays had gone back to the department but no one read them so no report . However Employee Health wrote me a note, I hand carried the xrays up to them, got a doctor to read them and to write a report. The report then went back to the typist. I reported this all to the Employee Health doctor who then sent a porter to pick up the report who then included it in my file who then forwarded it to the Medical Director where it now awaits his signature and stamp - BUT I understand he's pretty timely and they should get my file in HR tomorrow and then call me to deliver my passport and visitor visa so it can be sent to the Authority to be stamped as a residence visa. ( again with the stamps) So hopefully in a week, I'll be a resident of Abu Dhabi - UAE.
Now about Housing- I've been asked what that's like so I'll just include it here so all can read.
I currently live in downtown Abu Dhabi in the Tourist Area ( I have no idea why it's called that ) It's about 1k from the beach and the neighborhood is filled with 20 story apartment buildings. Al Manzel Hotel Apartments are new - I think 2005 and I'm in a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment. The kitchen is small with 3 electric burners - no oven or microwave - I do have a refrig/freezer. there is a shower w/ sink and toilet off the kitchen - I never use it and the bedroom has naturally a full bath and a bidet. _ I've tried it a few times and it's an odd sensation and concept to us USA people. The apartment has a small dining /living room area with a table and 4 chairs, then a sofa, love seat and a separate cushion seat also a coffee table. I have lots of storage space for clothes and both the living room and bedroom has a flat screen TV . TV sucks here - maybe about 15 English stations - but they are a mixed bag of bad, worse and most worse. The bed is a king size and is comfortable. I'm on the 12th floor. The roof floor has a pool - small splash pool 6' to 3' in depth a sauna, a jacuzzi ( small) and a gym with weights bike. treadmill etc. . I get breakfast everyday in the dining area included in the meal - eggs made to order, breads, lots of fresh fruit, cheeses of all sorts, yogurt, juices olives cereals , beef and veal bacon's, - I don't go hungry. I eat at work and usually rice w/ some type of meat - usually lamb and I eat it with Arabic bread. For dinner , I've cooked quite a bit of meals but with out a stove , I'm limited on my menus. So there you have it. Hope that answers some of your questions. BTW - do not send snail mail - I'll never get it. Christine has sent 2 cards so far and they haven't arrived. Email will do just fine.
Love to all
Scott

1 comment: