Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hubbly Bubbly

Hi All,
I hooked up with Amr and we went out for Turkish coffee and he smoked a waterpipe of Shesia - commonly lnown as Hubbly Bubbly. These Hookah parlors are interesting as this one had video poker - don't know if they were paying out or not and also backgammon games going on . We actually sat outside and enjoyed the cool breeze. Following the coffee, we walked down to another street known for it's Lebanese food and stores. We bought a Gyro w/ lamb meat and sauce - not the cucumber sauce we are accustomed to in the US. It was only 5 dirhams - or about $1.40 US The cooking is done in the front window where thay can also sell to take out orders. We got it to go and continued walking. As I was passing by another restaurant, there was a big wok in the front open window and I investigated and it was full of hot oil. The cook saw me and offered me a golf ball sized item. Amr told me it was a falaffel - turned out it was a veggie fallafel - veggies and grain mixed then deep fried. I have had them in the past in the US and found them dry and unappitizing however this was moist and tasty. Amr told me thay were better over at the Egyptian restaurant across the street. Folowing that we hiked up to the Hotel Meridian were I had been on Friday and I showed him around. He hadn't been ther before and it was beautifully decorated out at the bar. I took some pictures and will load them now that I'm learning how to do it. After that we returned to hotel, and I talked to my sister Ann on Skype with audio and video over the internet. It's the videophone we all learned about in gradeschool but never took off. Well this is a free service and works out great. .
Today is Sunday and I'm at work , I've had my medical check up and with that will get my visa stamped as a resident. That gets me my health card and I will be able to buy a car. I also learned that payroll has submitted my pay to my bank, I got a call from my bank that my debit/ATM card will be delivered to me tomorrow ( without it, you are unable to use the internet banking) and I should get an SMS ( text message ) that my account has been credited my pay.
Things are looking up.
I also got the name and number of a American family here who are friends to my wife's cousin ( ok as convoluted as that sounds) I've been invited to call them to meet and get some helpful tips on navigating my way through the UAE experience.
So far so good.
Scott

2 comments:

  1. The "Go Ask Alice" reference to Saturday's post had be rolling with laughter! Perfect! So glad my sis came through with the Briscoe's contact info. I hear they're great people. Sounds like things are settling down and you're getting more comfortable with your new surroundings. Post those pics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you creating a new nom de plume?
    Anthony "Moon" Bourdain.
    Having his taste in music is a given, sans the morning disco.
    Now working towards his culinary encounters?
    You could begin the adventure with koobideh,
    and end it with a trip to the desert eating kabab lizards.

    I'll send you a Stiv Bator's tee-shirt for the Lizard Le Dîner

    ReplyDelete