Monday, April 6, 2009

Banking and Medical

Hi All,
Well the past two days has been very productive for me in the banking front. I was paid on Sunday - but couldn't get to my money until I got my ATM card - which arrived on Monday by courier. You have to activate your card by calling a phone number ( which is also normal in the US as well) . Then you have to take you card to an ATM machine which I did after work last night and create a PIN number for it. So far so good. Checked my balance and my pay was there , Got some cash out and headed for the grocery store sorta like a Walmart super store and bought a set of cheap laptop speakers so I could crank some tunes . I had loaded about 100 CD's into my laptop before leaving and when I got home , I had Pink Floyd ripping through my apartment. Far cry from the Arabic music you hear everywhere - It's like "Guys get a tempo, a beat -take me to the bridge - where's the hook - something "
So I get back to the apartment , make myself a cocktail and eat , by now it's 8:30 and I log onto ADCB - Abu Dhabi City Bank - and register to use Internet banking. OK no problem - then I need to transfer funds to Christine - OK register that account - OK no problem - OK now transfer the funds. OK no problem - except that they will call you to confirm this transaction - so I click transfer and it goes through - phone rings 30 seconds later. I pick up phone and I lose the connection - Phone service here is good as in everyone has a cell phone - as in EVERYONE. problem is that it's over burdened and you get a lot of dropped calls. So I have to call this morning and confirm the transfer and all should be OK. ( and Christine will have her money in her account in Corydon )
So my next thing is the Medical -( we call a physical ) You have to have one before they will stamp your visa with a residence stamp ( remember you have to be a resident to get a drivers licence to own a car to rent an apartment it's vital to have that stamp - so I had my Physical on Sunday, - blood test checking for HIV, Hepatitis and blood sugars and a urine test for I assume drugs and a chest xray for TB. Doctor who sees me - takes my weight - don't ask- and height, takes the stethoscope places it on my heart , listens for 10 seconds - I'm out the door. - What that's it?? So all I have to do is wait for the lab tests to get to HR where I will then be summoned with my unstamped visa and passport and will have them Officially stamped and thus have residency status . I then submit a copy of my passport, copy of my stamped visa and a passport photo of myself and it gets sent to the health insurance people who then issue me my health card - with this health card I can then schedule a visit with the doctor here at the hospital clinic to get my prescriptions written and filled ( at no cost)
One step leads to another - what a journey.
That's all for today and I do promise to post some more photos soon.
Scott

2 comments:

  1. What a journey. I probably would have gone nuts by now. Pink Floyd....no wonder you and Kenny get along. He loves playing it at 10pm when I'm trying to get to sleep. How about a photo with you in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Christine gets money. That's important, you know. Your adventure (one step leads to another) is a metephor for life.
    Homefront will miss you this week.

    ReplyDelete