Friday, May 29, 2009

Record Holder

My Villa, directly behind me is a small park.
Zone 8 Unit 80 - Front door, front bedroom, middle window is living area and back window is master bedroom .
The pool and clubhouse. Lower level is aerobic gym, upper floor has machines and weights. Locker rooms are are behind me w/ jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Two squash courts are also available and a game room with pool table fuzzball etc. In the distance are two tennis courts.

The pool wraps around the areobic gym and is 25 meters in length for a good workout - only one problem - no lane lines so the kids may get in the way - but after I mow them down a few times , they get the point !
The 23 hour ownership accident. Pisses me off.

Hi All,
5a, Sat. May 30,
Well yesterday was FANTASTIC Christine and I were up up had breakfast and out the door by 8:30. We drove out to Sas Al Nakhl Village and went to the clubhouse where we swam,( I got in 500 meters and am out of shape) sunned and met another American, Jay from Phoenix. He's here with wife and 2 daughters one(16) who was going to the Prom that evening so he had to run after about a 10 minute conversation. We left shortly after and went to the villa where we measured for curtains and got a better look at the villa . It needs a few repairs and that list was started.

We left there about 11:30 and headed over to Cary and Shauna's. They still have a few things to sell -curtains being one item as well as a computer desk, stereo, DVD/CD changer and a ladder. On the way there we drove past the US Embassy - It is quite an impressive building and we're going to go back on Sunday ( remember that is our Monday) to register in the country and to find out about taxes- Although it's tax free to live here , I still am obligated to pay some US taxes above a certain amount - so hence my inquiries. I don't want to be the guy who thinks he's smarter than the IRS and a few years later ends up owing more in penalties than the tax owed.

Now the Record Holder Story - Nine years ago Wesley ( our son) got his drivers licence on one day and the very next day, I got a call from Alex (our 2nd son) that some one had called him to report that Wes had spun out in his car and was in a ditch. By the time I got there, he had gotten a tow out and was gone. Had the caller not ratted him out, I doubt Wes would have shared this information with us. After leaving the US Embassy, we were at the traffic light , 3rd in line waiting at the light. Suddenly, the guy in front of me puts his SUV into reverse and slams into my front end. I had the car less than 23 hours and I'm already involved in an accident - ONE FREEK'N DAY My first word getting out of the car as the driver is approaching me were "One day , One day I bought this car yesterday. " Well the police were called, (Mandatory in the UAE as ANY repair work to your car requires a police report - even if you hit your wall in your own garage), he had us move the vehicles to a shady area and he collected the statements. LUCKILY the other guy admitted his guilt, and we were on our way in 1/2 hr. Bumper, grill and hood will need repaired/replaced. The Toyota dealer is right near the US Embassy and since I have to go to my insurance company to get it repaired, guess our Sunday plans just got more complicated.

Well we hooked up with Cary and Shauna(teachers at the American International School) - Actually I called Cary when the accident occurred and he walked over to assist if he could. We had a nice visit and ended up buying the aforementioned items and we arranged for delivery and install. Both Cary and Shauna had things to get done - Cary was playing tympani for the Abu Dhabi Symphony that evening up in Dubai and Shauna was going to act as a chaperon at the Prom that night - OMG we had just met Jay - could it be? Yes it was. Shauna was to pass on our hello's to Jay that evening. What a coincidence.
We left there, went to Carrefores bought a few more items - looking for some good pots and pans - they didn't have any, just the cheap stuff - then drove over to the Fish Market - Christine and I got some huge prawns and then drove around the dhow harbor - (the fishing boats) where we saw all the fisherman prepping for that evenings' run. They use a 2 meter wide x 1 1/2 meter high half dome wire mesh net contraption and all the dhows had them hanging from every surface.

It was back to the hotel, and the valet's immediately noticed the damage. They also knew I had just gotten the car. Christine and I relaxed with some cocktails and made seafood pasta with the prawns - which was delicious.

Today is to be a repeat of yesterday - minus the accident - ONE FREEK'N DAY ARGHHHHHHH - Tippy Toes, Tippy Toes(family code word for "Chill Scott)

Love to All
Scott

2 comments:

  1. New digs look great, and nice pool/gym area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent- 25 meters - NO EXCUSES!
    Let the Nagging begin!
    Talk them into some anchor bolts and a pair of Keefers.

    ReplyDelete