Friday, May 15, 2009

A ADNOC petrol station - Abu Dhabi National Oil Company - the one and ONLY gas station brand in the country - owned by the government from the ground to the pump- hence the reason for no taxes.
Note the snazzy dressed attendants at the pump.

Even the lube oil business is a monopoly-unless you are a car dealership -there are no JiffyLubes

Shauna with 2 year old Athena - no picture of Cary - he's in the witness protection program - not really, he's just shy about pics
Never one to be shy - here I am with Shauna and Athena

Hi all,
Saturday 9 am May 16
Two wonderful - All American -experiences yesterday.
Experience #1
I walked over to the Abu Dhabi Mall - 2 blocks away- to buy a cooler to tote some beers to experience #2. Instead of taking my regular route, I exited the mall via a different entrance and was stopped on the street by a young man - about 28 - when he said - Nice Shirt!
I had on my USNA Class of 2010 t-shirt. I turned and met Brent Dial, West Point Class of 2002
He's the business development director for a defense firm in Columbia MD. Well we chatted it up for 10 min and I departed with a huge smile.
Experience #2
I had asked my pal Scott Hamrick for a friends email but he didn't have it but directed me to another friend from our college days - Peg. So I emailed Peg and she responded but also included that she knew someone in Abu Dhabi. Follow me here . Our Youngstown crew includes Ray Runge - who married Valerie ( never met her) who has a daughter who now lives here with her husband Cary and daughter Athena. Well We hooked up yesterday - I provided the beers we just had a great time telling stories about all the commonly known people. They are leaving the UAE for India via Colorado in 4 weeks and they are selling their car and some household goods so I looked them over too. Needless to say, It was wonderful catching up on my college friends thru the eyes of a 3rd party and just getting a chance to ask questions about living in the UAE. It was a great All American Experience.
Are You Experienced?
Love to all
Scott

2 comments:

  1. Depends on what experience you're referring to ;-). Glad you had a chance to feel more at home with your new American friends. Any chance you've caught up with the parents of Heather's friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to get together with some American friends! I am looking VERY forward to hearing about Christine's adventures with you there! I hope you all have a wonderful visit together! Tell her I said hello!

    ReplyDelete