Wednesday, June 3, 2009

We are almost there - No Problem

Wed. 11:30p June 3
Hello to all of you following this crazy process of completely outfitting a house and living in a different country. Christine reporting again...

Monday Scott had a meeting in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi is a country and a city.... think NYC in NY state) They are working on group purchasing for all of the Abu Dhabi hospitals and Scott had to attend a meeting. I went with him and it was so interesting. We had a driver take us and we drove thru the desert and yes, we saw camels. However, the camels were in pens and I was amazed that they are all different colors of beige, brown, "camel" -- get it, camel? While Scott was at his meeting, I had the driver take me the the "town" - not much of a town, but there were stores and my shopping skills kicked in. I actually bargained ---- it went against all of my Ozzie feelings (just hate it when people do that at the store). I bought a few things and was close to being abducted by a local ---- not kidding: this sheik guy approaches me and asked if I was looking for my driver. He wanted to be my driver.... Yeah right - I get into his white Mercedes and I'm never seen again. Scott laughed over this story (will provide details if interested - but it was so typical of me and my experiences with men).

I spend all day Tuesday at the villa waiting for deliveries. IKEA was prompt and completed the living room, bedroom and dining area furniture in a timely manner. We ordered 4 major appliances from a large dept store - all promised to be delivered on Tues 02/06. What they don't tell you is that all 4 appliances come from 4 different places (this means 4 different deliveries and 4 delivery men who have very little English skills). Scott dropped me off at the empty villa at 7:30 AM and I never left the villa until 8:30 PM. I will spare you the details, except that when you tell me you are going to deliver an appliance today, I assume (my first problem) that you will be there before twilight..... Scott asked me to check out all of the deliveries and my Ozzie skills sure kicked in. Scott told the IKEA customer service guys today that he was okay with something I objected to but they are coming on next Sunday to replace my other two issues.

The master bedroom now has a bed and two nightstands and a silk rug. The living room has a blue, cream and brown rug, a brown leather couch (which I can completely stretch out on - checked it last night while waiting not-too-patiently for the last delivery of the "day") and a brown leather recliner. Yes, Scott finally got his recliner, but at least there aren't any leaping deer or big bass on it. We also got two goose neck lamps and a coffee table. The new big Sony HD television is in place and working (oh yeah, the satellite guys were there also on Tuesday. Scott snuck in the big TV while he sent me off to look for an iron (not a Rowenta in sight). In between the deliveries, I spent the day washing everything for the kitchen. The kitchen is large and has granite counters (as do all 4 of the bathrooms). Cleaned out all of the cabinets and as an aside: small coolers with flat tops make excellent step stools.

This morning Scott let me sleep in while he was off to the villa on his way to work. He took some things I packed up last night - although I was cranky, I was still able to pack.... He left at 6:00a and I woke up at 9:55a I told him I was exhausted from trying to communicate and feeling woefully inadequate. I went over to the big mall and bought more stuff for the villa and we made a run out there tonight. Found more kitchen things and couch pillows. Tonight we shopped for rugs - it is so much fun spending Mafraq's money. We got 3 rugs and more stuff like toaster, dustbuster (i.e. sandbuster), clock radio, and some food.... back to the villa to unload. While we were there a Mafraq doctor (from Germany) drove by and recognized Scott. He is looking to rent there as well. There is an orthopaedic surgeon and wife moving in just up the street; they are from Hungary and I ran up to see them yesterday while waiting for deliveries. Offered them a cool place to wait and working bathrooms until their villa is ready for deliveries. Scott's friend Hanie and his family are also planning on moving into their villa (just down the street) this weekend. Hanie is a financial guy - he went to school for BA and MBA in Florida, but because he has an Indian passport, he has to do driving tests. He will be able to get a ride into work with Scott. His wife will be thrilled to get out of here - can you imagine trying to keep a 1 y/o entertained in a hotel ---- Danger Will Robinson!

I will be out of commission after this blog - but Scott promises to keep it up. He has also promised to take off two days next week (before I leave) and we will do something "fun".
Love to all
Christine

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everything is coming together. So glad that you will be in the house before Christine has to come back to the USA. Waiting on "indoor" pictures of the villa. Love and miss you both. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze Christine. After all of that you deserve A LOT of fun! When you have time, fill me in on the details of the guy with the white Mercedes. Hmm. Creepy. Scott, please do keep up with the blog....and add a few photos of your now furnished new digs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete