Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just Checking In

Hi All
7:30 Wednesday Morning July 1,
Just wanted to get a post out to let you all know that I'm still here. Since Christine left, my days have been filled with work , work , work - then home , swim, eat a little, TV then bed. - repeat the next day. We also had a physical inventory the weekend after Christine left so I was here both days for that too so it was a long stretch.
I did get my car back from the repair shop and carefully drove home without incident. Drivers are crazy here- everyone is out for themselves - got to be first- I'm less than a man if I allow a person to merge into my lane ahead of me (speed limit is 75)- those lines on the road - oh just a suggestion - choose anywhere you want to drive go from far left speed lane to right lane - turn signals ? Oh I wondered what that little stick thingy did?
Speed lane - be very careful - your going 120 kph and here comes someone going 200 kph - they flash you with the lights - you try to move over (but there's that guy who won't let you move into his lane ahead of you so he speeds up) so here comes 200 kph and he gets right on your bumper and then passes you in the median lane.
Needless to say driving anywhere here is not for the faint of heart or the inattentive.
Then there are the pedestrians - on the highway - yes - just about anywhere you will see someone standing on the side of the 4 lane freeway waiting for their ride - yep taxi's or a van pool will suddenly pull off and pick up some guy - you look around and there is nothing - absolutely nothing - around for miles and here's this guy standing there. I have seen - and missed 2 guys crossing the freeway - 5 lanes in this area - during the evening going home traffic - they ventured out 2 lanes - stood on the suggestion lines - waited for an opening and then went the remainder of the way across (I hope) - this is with cars speeding past them in all lanes - I got past them and kept them in my rear view mirror until I couldn't see them any longer. This is a common occurrence - so not only do you have speed demon- you have the jaywalkers to watch out for.
I've invited a couple to come over for dinner on Friday eve. My first social event in the villa. They are from South Africa and she - Rheita - is a nurse here I've know from the hotel days. Her husband Sam came just after I moved out will meet him then. Plan on having lamb patties, salad and some type of potato dish. - beers and a swim are also on the agenda.
Guess I'll have to get the villa cleaned up - good motivation.
Haven't found a maid yet - next door neighbors and I are looking at how we can share one to do all 3 villas - and we have 2 others who could jump in too - so we may be able to keep her busy full time. - we shall see.
Well I've ranted and shared some news. Can you believe it's 1/2 way thru 2009 . I certainly can't .
One last shout out to Wes - our son - who will be 25 tomorrow and to Christine's father Jack who will be 80. ( I know how to get in good with the in laws - have their grandson on Opa's birthday) Love to all
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Glad you checked in. Guess if I were there my aggressive driving skills would have to kick in and I'd actually appreciate the seat belt.

    ReplyDelete