Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting a Visa to India

Hi All,
20 October 2010



As many of you know we are preparing to travel to India for 11 days. We fly into Delhi where we will spend 2 days then travel by car to Agra where the Taj Mahal is located. After 3 days we travel to Jaipur for 2 days. From there we fly to Goa for a 4 day all inclusive beach resort relaxation time. I am positive we will have hundreds of pictures to wade through and blog about however, getting there is 1/2 the trick.

I spent weeks on line researching travel offers and mulling over the itinerary and finaly chose the one above. Then I had to book flights to/from India. This set the dates and then put into motion the travel agent who worked the hotels and internal travel arrangements. I then went on line and got the information and forms on location of the visa office. I had all the forms ready for Christine and I when she arrived.

After our Oman trip, I was off the entire week and planned on this as one of our activities. I'll let Christine take over now as she tells the story so well.

Observation: I you want to learn patience, move to this part of the world. To visit most forgein countries you have to obtain a visa (translation: if patience is a virtue - I'm gonna get sainthood!)

Scott and I finally find the Indian documents building, it like many buildings in this area could use some good signage. Find the correct room and it is full of people - some sitting and many standing. The idea of lining up and waiting to take your turn is "foreign" (seriously, no pun intended). We work out way to the front of the "going to Indian for a visit" desk and I thank goodness that we were not there for work visas. Naturally we didn't have ALL the forms necesary and were given additional forms and gestured to go out into the hall. In the hall is 1 table, a few chairs and tons of people - no pens either). Forms need where were are staying, what we are visiting, our travel agency, passport info and our parents names (parents names??? what the heck for?)

We complete the forms and return the the even-more crowded room. Lines still seem to be optional and now only 1 employee for both visitors visas and work visas. (Did I mention that daily bathing also seems to be optional) A Local steps right in front of Scott and Scott tells him in no uncertain terms "I WAS HERE FIRST!" He replies "no problem" and steps back into the sea of humanity. Our turns comes and we are asked more questions and told to go to the room across the hall and (you guessed it) wait again for our interview with another gov't employee.

Enter next room and take a number (think like at the bakery). We found seats (a bonus) and Scott pulls out his phone and looks real busy. I realize that he is playing a game so look at my new phone... only one game and it involves moving a snake, which reminds me of etch-a-sketch. This game holds my attention for 5 minutes. Minewhile, in walks a woman completely covered in black (I'm used to this by now). She takes her number and immediately walks over to the interviewer. She reaches across two people who had patiently waited their turn (maybe their phone had better games?) and thrusts the number into the interviewer's face. The entire room is now watching to see how he is going to handle this situation. We breath a sign of relief when she is told to "take a seat". Grumbling fills the air and she walks out. For the next half hour, I read propaganda regarding the upcoming Commonwealth Games and India's modern economy. Abaya woman alternates pacing & sitting while grumbling as my dear husband is engrossed by his phone!

Finally our turn arrives, Hooray! Our papers are checked, our info keyed into the computer and then the moment of decision: can I hand over my passport to an official of the Indian Govt? I am assured that it will be delivered with Scott's to Mafraq Hospital by courier in 3 days. (I had the same anxiey attack as when I handed Wes all of HIS Christmas ornaments). "Enshallah - Arabic for "God illing" crosses my mind. Scott pries the passport out of my hands (sure fine for him as he has UAE National Identity Card and UAE Driver's License). I decided that once I'm safely back to the villa I'm not leaving until I get my passport back. Scott is amused by my discomfort, but at least he has stopped playing backgammon on his phone...

After two hours at the Documents Building, we leave the still-grumbling woman and step out into the 108 degrees. Time to find some lunch; I drowned my anxieties in hummus & fresh vegtables!

Two lessons: patience and trust. The passports were delivered to Scott's office the next day and Wes took good care of his ornaments.

Love to all,
Christine and Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment