Sunday, November 29, 2009

Post Thanskgiving and Pic's of Burj Arab

The Burj Arab probably one of the most recognizable buildings in the world. It is a 7 star hotel. We will go there next time Christine comes over.
A little closer view.

Yes that is a helicopter pad on the left. ( looks like the Jetson's doesn't it? ) On the right is the cocktail lounge. On the far side of the tower is the Jumariah Palms - the man made island to resemble a palm tree. It's a gated community so no sightseeing permitted. ( plus how would you know it was a palm unless you were in a plane)
Welcome to my villa - come on in, the dirt floor is fine ! Actually this is at the Heritage Village which shows the history of the UAE and this is a "typical" house 50 years ago. Yes only 50 years. Behind Christine ( who is taking the picture are examples of the Bedouin tents) Note the skyscrapers in the background.

What Knockers ! Why Thank You Herr Doktor ! ( If you haven't watched Young Frankenstein you wouldn't get this joke)

Hi all,
Sunday 29 Nov 2009
Well Thanksgiving is over and for me it was a non-event. Without all the media hype and consumer frenzy, you wouldn't have know it was "that" time of year. Plus when it's mid 80's and I'm swimming in an outdoor pool every morning, any thoughts of harvest time and frost on the pumpkin are far removed from my daily thoughts.
I have been on vacation since Thanksgiving Day as that was the start of Eid (there are two Eids per year- This is the "fun" one as described by a local) and on Dec 2 and 3 celebrates the UAE's 38th anniversary as a nation (our July 4). Well his Royal Highness decreed that the 3 days between Eid and UAE Nationality Days would be a national holiday as well - So who am I to complain about 10 days paid time off ? Mama didn't raise no fool !
I must tell you however that I had my tickets selected and the cursor on the accept payment - but then I came to my senses and canceled the flight back to the US. Figured 3 of the days would have been in transit and the money spent would be better spent when Alex comes a month from now doing fun things with him.
Well I had a first today, a fellow swimmer, Sid, is the general manager of the new Holiday Inn in Abu Dhabi, well stop thinking about the Holiday Inn's in the USA, the international ones are MUCH nicer. - REPEAT MUCH NICER. well the hotels' restaurant was having a soft opening and Sid invited me to dinner. Unfortunately I was alone but greatly enjoyed my meal of Cucumber gazpacho, Seafood Salad ,Veal Osso Bucco, Teramizu and 2 glasses of a fine Cab Sav and my meal was complete. - and all for no cost at all ! I was stunned. It was explained to me that all the people here that evening were guests of the management and we were there to critique and enjoy. My only critique - was that they should have charged me.
I did however take care of my server- Riosol - from Mexico. (Yes I know) The restaurant - The Lemon Tree - is Mediterranean themed and from what I had the food was excellent, on time, and for a guy like me - right portioned as well. Yeah for soft openings !
When Christine was here we went to the Dragon Mall ( I'd say at least 1000 importers - and yes 99% of them Chinese) There we bought some track lighting for my dinning area and I am installing it today.
Stopped across the street to see Suzanna after my swim this morning and invited them Suzanna and her mother Layla ( Chris is in London on business) to dinner - well I'll make dinner and take it there as it's much easier for me to make it here and take it there versus them having to pack up Taavi and bring him and all the baby stuff here. I'm making eggplant parmigiana, lemon basil carrots and a salad. Plus I'll take over a cheese plate for after dinner with a tawny Port. YUM
Tomorrow Dec. 1 is Alex's birthday - he will be 23. Wow where has the time gone.
Hanie is bringing their bird over for me to watch as they are going to Malaysia for a 5 day vacation so I'll have a feathered friend to care for. I think that is what so cool about this area- so many destinations are close at hand. Europe, Asia, Africa and India. such a dilemma on where to go - I know - HOME.
Well that's all for now.
Love to all,
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm way behind in checking your blog. However, I must say that you have great timing posting the photos of the Burj Arab. If I recall correctly, isn't that the helio pad where Tiger took a shot years ago? He sure is making the news these days. Our Thanksgiving was pretty much the same as yours....a non-event. I expect that Christmas will be much the same. One of these years, I think Kenny and I will start to travel over the holidays to add a little excitement. Have a great time with Alex!

    Take care! Beth

    ReplyDelete