Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fine Trip - Part 4

Hi All
24 May 2010

I've loaded some pictures from my camera into the home PC and will be posting those over the weekend. Stay tuned.
Last night I watched with approx 1000 other fans the USA v Algeria and the England v Slovenia football games at a local hotel bar. The bar was PACKED and I stood the whole 4 hours I was there. Met several other Americans. Was just like being back home. USA and England both won and went through to the next round . WOO HOO !

29 May
The Day After
Oh what a wonderful time we are having. Such memories (and in fact as I was unpacking my suitcase this morning I came across the graduation program which is here on my desk to show my staff)
The day after had the remaining visitors up and over to the Yard about 10a where Alex gave a "brief" tour of the campus including John Paul Jones crypt, The Navy Chapel, Bancroft Hall, the Mid Store and then over to the USNA Museum. It was determined that since we all drove separately to the Yard, those who wanted could peel off and go their separate ways. So as we all said our good byes on the steps of the museum, Christine, Wes and I returned to the house and began to organize /clean up/ get ready for the gathering planned for that afternoon with Michael and his family. There was PLENTY of food and drink remaining so that wasn't an issue. We just had to clean up ( oh by the way, Christine, her Dad and my brother Todd did a wonderful job cleaning up from the party the night before - I'm sure I missed someone but those are the ones that come to mind now) So as we organized and de-festooned the house moving items towards their boxes for packing into the car for the next day's trip to Pittsburgh.
The museum goers returned, food was put out and the Browns arrived . We all enjoyed the less stressful setting and were able to all sit around the deck and just plain relax ! Believe me it was a welcome respite after the activity and stress filled week leading up to the graduation. The Browns said their goodbyes - we'd see them the following week- Wes was taken to the airport and the survivors relaxed for the remainder of the day.

30 May Sunday
Clean up and get out of town day.
The house was given the final clean, all cars packed and everyone was ready to go by 10:30. We all headed off to the Baltimore airport where Todd and Samantha were dropped for their flights. Three cars, the two Dads, Alex and Christine in Alex's car and me in our car drove back to Pittsburgh. Christine, Alex and I proceeded to Christine's sister's house (who had just gotten home from Annapolis a few hours ahead of us) where we dined on - yes you guessed it - more leftovers from the party. We sat and talked but it wasn't long before my eyes were rolling in the back of my head so I slipped off to bed.

31 May, Monday - 2 June, Wednesday
Memorial Day
My plans were for me to travel to Bradford PA ( our former home) to visit with one of my best friends, Jerry Clark. Jerry had also joined us at the Graduation and was, as always, a center of attraction with his quick wit and joke telling capability. At the graduation, Alex had mentioned to him that he'd also like to come up and Jerry graciously invited him as well. So Alex and I arrived in the Village of Westline (20 mi south of Bradford, population approx. 120 people - population never changes - a girl gets pregnant, a guy leaves town) early afternoon - well the skies opened up just as we pulled into the driveway - so we sat in the car for 15 - 20 minutes until the rain abated. Alex and I ended up dodging rain the 2 days we were there. Jerry and I caught up with each other and Alex went into Bradford to look around the old neighborhood - he hadn't been there for 11 years, visit his old school and teachers and friends. We had planned on eating at the Westline Inn- my favorite watering hole - but just never got around to it and departed for PA on Wednesday morning. Jerry was a wonderful host and had made Shrimp LeJon (bacon wrapped shrimp with horseradish) for us upon our arrival then steaks on the grill. His signature breakfast of buttermilk muffins , eggs, korv (Swedish sausage) and coffee the next morning and then for Tuesday evening marinated chicken slow roasted on the grill. Wednesday morning was pancakes w/ blueberry sausage and coffee as well. I was also able to connect with good friends Mark and Pam who also live in Westline. - I never made it to Bradford.
Alex and I returned to Pittsburgh and he and his Uncle Jeff went out and Alex bought a laptop with some of his graduation money. I took a nap and then later on that day, we yes you guessed it - finished up the leftovers from the graduation party (well the majority of the leftovers). Both mornings that I was there, Jeff went out and bought fresh bagels (are there any other kind?) which we enjoyed with cream cheese and lox and capers. Mmmmm - can't get bagels like that here in the UAE in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a bagel - they are just not done here.

3 June 2010,Thursday
Alex departed for Quantico as he had some business to attend to and Christine and I departed for Annapolis as we had been invited to attend Brandon ( Alex's room mate for all 4 years) & Geselle's wedding. Alex was the best man and it was held in the Chapel. We were invited to stay with Herb and Barbara where we also enjoyed their hospitality. We arrived in Annapolis, had lunch at the Ram's Head Bar and then proceeded over to Herb and Barbara's. They had gone out for the evening and we let ourselves in. Alex soon arrived and we went out to eat at a local crab house. We wisely got there before the rush and a torrential downpour. Alex and I picked a dozen crabs while Christine enjoyed her soft shell crabs.

4 June, Friday
Wedding Rehearsal and Bar Hopping
Alex was up and gone for chores he needed to do and Christine and I lazed around then went over to the Yard to tour the museum ourselves. - if you recall - we took Wes back to the house so he could sleep prior to returning to Indiana and the night shift job he had (he now has a new job on days working for a company that supports the Ford Truck assembly plant - his company supplies the dashboards and steering wheel assemblies.)
We had also planned to meet Alex at McGarvey's for lunch where he and I had our traditional oysters on the half shell. For all you oyster lovers out there , this is rated as the best place to get them in Annapolis. They were big and delicious. Following that, Alex had the rehearsal and Christine and I returned to the house and changed for the rehearsal party being held at the Officer's Club.
This started at 4p and they had a full sit down meal for 80 people. It was awfully nice of Brandon and Geselle to include us as we certainly weren't expecting it. Dinner ended and we had heard that the "kids" were going to meet later at an Mexican restaurant for margaritas. However I was hot and tired and really didn't feel like it. Christine looked at me and said - "If you think that we're going to go back and sit around the house on a Friday night in Annapolis - one of the best towns to stroll and bar hop when you and I are all dressed up - your out of your mind! (or something to that effect)
Needless to say I mustered my inner fortitude and we began what turned out to be a truely marvelous evening. ( Thanks Christine) We first went to Rams Head and had a beer. We then drove downtown ( should have walked) and proceeded to hit a bar in the harbor and strolled around the harbor looking at the yachts. (playtoys) From there is it was over to another bar where Christine spied a Mid she knew. Well she played "Mommy Morrow" to the hilt and ended up buying the Mid his dinner - much to the envy of the other Mids with him. I in the meantime was chatting up a fellow at the bar stool next to me who when he got up told the bartender he was leaving for Louisville. We had a nice long chat as he wanted to know all about where to go and what to see while in Louisville. ( Churchill Downs and Louisville Slugger being the two must see's for any out of towner).
After this we walked back up town to the Mexican restaurant to meet up with the kids and buy a round for them . Well they weren't there. Bummer. Now what? I know - back across the street to the Rams Head - and lo and behold who did we find - - Yes, the groom and groomsmen - So we got seats at the bar, watched the Blackhawks lose to the Fliers and just kept opening my wallet for bar munchies and beers. About an hour later Geselle showed up with her brides maids. We had a marvelous time and my wallet cried. BUT I need to stop whining about the money situation. I took in a renter, Max, in Abu Dhabi and his rent money paid for my vacation - So every time a bill came I picked it up and Christine and I would both say "It's on Max" Thanks Max !
Well it was getting late so we left, walked back downtown, retrieved the car and returned to Herb and Barbara's. Alex came in around 1a. Good Night

That's all for this blog entry.
Love to all,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment