Sunday, September 27, 2009

What a Trip - Part 4

The Mayor of White Cloud
Christine ready for our date at "The Boat" Isn't she stunning?

Sam and his niece.

Future Heart Breaker
Another Chosen Family pose.

Hi All,
Tuesday 29 Sept. 2009
(One year ago today I lost my job at Floyd Memorial)
Let's see I left off ending Monday, Labor Day, with a wonderful meal at "The Boat"
Thanks again Linda.

Next morning Christine heads off to work and I had a full day planned. I had lost my goggles about a month earlier forgetting them at the pool so I was using a pair that are meant for indoor or night swimming. The brilliance of sun when swimming backstroke makes swimming painful and closing the eyes and swimming is not recommended so I went in search of my preferred brand. ( TYR Socket Rockets) - well Dicks Sporting Goods didn't have them so it was necessary to drive over to the far side of Louisville to a dedicated swim shop. I stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond and bought Christine a new coffee maker as ours had developed a hole in the water heating element. I also stopped at Lowe's Hardware and picked up a new flagpole. Ours had broken about a year ago and although repaired, had a bend in it where it was just a matter of time before it snapped again. I came back home and then cut the grass, installed the new flag pole and got the coffee maker on the counter so Christine could open her new appliance. I then got cleaned up and headed over to Louisville where I stopped and saw Vickie as I was to drop off some pictures of Rick that would be used for the collage at the funeral home. Julie was there also so after we chatted, I took Julie to her house as I was headed that way. From there it was to the swim shop where I got the goggles and was out the door in 5 minutes. I had arranged to meet Kevin at a new Beer pub in town that he had told me had 1000 beers. I was intrigued. I called him as I was leaving the swim shop and we arrived within 15 min. of one another. We sampled 3 or was it 4 beers and enjoyed catching up with one another. Kevin also made good on his promise to burn me some CD's of his play lists. Well let me tell you , they are a god send here in the UAE where quality music is as rare as a freshwater pond. And like a pond , the music is an oasis for me. - Thanks Again Kevin.
Now I may be confusing my days here as this may have been Wednesday's itinerary. But never the less , all these things did occur.
I was also able to cut down a tree for Christine and haul it into the woods and dig out the ash heap of burn pile and dispose of it also. The recyclables got taken to the recycle center - and Geez we drank a lot of beer. The back of Wes's pick up was LOADED with the separated glass. - The smell of stale beer permeated the truck bed and then - as per on cue, down my leg as I was emptying one of the containers in to the bin. - El Stinko .
I also visited RichO's - my most favorite beer pub and quaffed down some quality beer. I met my close friends from Floyd Memorial there on Thursday evening along with Christine and sister Ann and enjoyed getting caught up on all the Floyd news. Was great seeing them all. Christine and I also went to the Bank Street Brewery and had an excellently prepared meal. The Bank Street is the new brewery for RichO's and the menu is completely different than RichO's.
With Rick's passing we visited the funeral home on Thursday ( before RichO's) and said our final goodbyes to a dear friend and then on Friday attended the funeral and burial. Beautiful day and the graveside Flag Ceremony carried out by the Marine Corp Honor Guard had me and everyone else in tears. Truly a touching sight to see a huge Gunny Sargent get down on one knee and present the flag in the name of the President of the United States to Cathy.

Unfortunately Christine could not attend the grave site services as she left after the church service to collect Wes for their trip to PA for a wedding. Needless to say our parting moments were not as they should have been. Following the grave site service Tom took me to his house where he changed then took me to the airport so I could start my long journey back to the UAE. The return trip was uneventful - except that if you go through Heathrow in London - try not to - it's MASSIVE and it takes literally an HOUR + or more just to navigate between terminals and security checkpoints etc. It's insane. Luckily I had plenty of lay over time that I was able to enjoy a few more of the excellent British beers. S(so what if it was 8am.) I wasn't alone in the bar - in fact there was a line to get in! I got back to Abu Dhabi and since I had only carry on , I quickly exited the terminal after going thru customs and was home by 8:30p local time. I was up in plenty of time to get to work the next day and at about noon - I hit the wall. Struggled thru till the 2p quiting time ( Ramadan hours still in effect) and went home to crash. Took me a few days to get straighten out . BUT I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Well that ends the "What a Trip" series . Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. Next post I'll talk about my most recent weekend and my experience with the AFL.

Love to all,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment